I have set forth below a list of several significant ovarian cancer developments that were presented at the 2008 Annual Meeting of the American Association For Cancer Research (AACR) held on April 12 – 16, 2008 in San Diego, California.
- “ BSI-201 Demonstrates Significant Tumor Growth Inhibition and Increased Survival Rates in Preclinical Ovarian Cancer Studies,” EarthTimes.org, April 14, 2008.
- “Drug compound [NV-128] leads to death of ovarian cancer cells,” MedicineWorld.org. See also “Yale Researchers Indicate That Novogen Compound NV-128 Induces Cell Death in Chemo-Resistant Ovarian Cancer Cells,” posted by Paul Cacciatore, H*O*P*E* Blog, March 26, 2008.
- “Drugs in the pipeline: new therapies that could change treatment strategies – Mifepristone (RU 486) abrogates repopulation of ovarian cancer cells in between courses of cisplatin treatment: 2008 AARC Annual Mtg. Abstract 1210,” Eurekalert.org, April 15, 2008.
- “Access Pharmaceuticals Presents New Data on ProLindac(TM) at the AACR Annual Meeting,” EarthTimes.org, April 15, 2008.
- “Stem cells: the role of cancer-initiating cells in diagnosis and treatment – Identification and characterization of cancer stem cells in ovarian cancer:” Mor G, et al., 2008 AACR Annual Mtg. Abstract 2029. See also “Stem Cells: The Role Of Cancer-initiating Cells In Diagnosis And Treatment,” Science News Release, ScienceDaily, April 21, 2008; “Ovarian Cancer Stem Cells Identified, Characterized,” Science News, ScienceDaily, April 18, 2008.
- “VioQuest Pharmaceuticals’ Novel Akt Inhibitor VQD-002 is Synergistic with Various Cancer Therapies in Preclinical Studies,” BusinessWire News Release, April 16, 2008 (VQD-002 was also highlighted in an oral presentation during the “Targeting AKT in Cancer: Promise, Progress, and Potential Pitfalls (Basic Science-Clinical Interface Sessions: Pathways to Progress)” symposium).
- “Is the news on Dendreon’s Neuvenge new?,” The Life Sciences Blog, April 16, 2008 (A PDF Document Download Document of Dendreon’s Neuvenge (APC8024) AACR Poster Presentation – “Immune Response Findings in a Phase 1 Trial of Immunotherapy (APC8024, lapuleucel-T) in Patients with Refractory Metastatic Tumors that Express HER-2/neu“).
- “The Fallopian Tube Epithelium As The Field Of Origin For Ovarian Serous Carcinoma,” MedicalNewsToday.com, April 17, 2008.
- “FASgen, Inc. Presents Ovarian Cancer Efficacy and Toxicology Data [On FAS31] to the American Association for Cancer Research,” PRNewsWire.com, April 18, 2008.